Sports Forum   |   Scoreboard   |   Contact Us   |   WinPicks Software   |   Talkstock   |   Advertise   |   Follow Us on Twitter   |   Register  |   Login 
Register to post in the sports forumDownload the ScoresLine App for Android 

Forums   Register   Profile   Inbox   Address Book   Subscribe   My Forums   Search   FAQ   Login   Log Out

Comment on Replay and Penalties   Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Pro Sports] >> NFL and CFL >> Comment on Replay and Penalties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comment on Replay and Penalties - 9/17/2019 8:39:53 AM   
bt_phins

I am getting tired of replay in the NFL. At least how long it takes them to review plays. We've gotten to a point with technology where every aspect of every play is under scrutiny. It's not the original intent. We just want really bad calls, or miscalls, to be righted. Don't let a team lose a game like the Saints did last playoffs due to a bad call - or lack thereof. What I don't really get is the time it takes to review. I know what I just mentioned is the culprit but maybe they should have 30 seconds, 1 minute at most, to make a call. And let a 3rd party make the call so the ref can just stand on the field and deliver the verdict. All scoring plays are reviewed and those take like 10-20 seconds. I know most aren't controversial but use that practice as a guideline. If you don't see something with 100% certainty to overturn a call in 30 seconds, move on. Sure, we'll have some missed calls but here's the thing .... IT'S OK!! We don't need perfection. We just need egregious calls overturned. We want the players, coaches and fans to know that they didn't lose a game due to a shit call.

That leads me to rant #2. Penalties. Ugghhh. It's almost getting to a point where watching a football game is like watching a basketball game. No flow, constant interruptions to the action, ticky tack calls. ENOUGH! Between holding, PI (did I rant about replay already?) and every kick/punt return in the game, it's getting unwatchable. The NFL has such a great game and the league seems hell bent on wrecking things with penalty flags and replay. The saying goes, you can call a holding penalty or PI penalty on almost every play. If that's the case, it's embedded in the game. Call only the ones that are really obvious. Let them play! Personally, I'd cut a guy right there on the spot for a block in the back on a punt return!

Anyway, just a couple of rants to get it off my chest. Man, the NFL is making it hard to stay interested. I think they are losing younger generations who can't stay as focused without interruption (another rant for another forum!) and that will hurt them in the long run.
Post #: 1
RE: Comment on Replay and Penalties - 9/20/2019 9:03:06 AM   
bt_phins

Another tough game to watch last night because of all the penalties. Thanks, NFL! Holding calls are up 66% from this time last season. SIXTY-SIX!!!! That's insane.

Glad to hear Perrera and Aikman ranting about it last night on air and then Brady texting about the "ridiculous" calls. "Let us play!"

The league will have to address it. Hopefully.

(in reply to bt_phins)
Post #: 2
RE: Comment on Replay and Penalties - 9/20/2019 1:13:33 PM   
NBA_trends

I alway thought the easy ones the ref do it but those refs on the headset they are waiting confirmation from the nfl headquarter in NY right ? those guys in NewYork are the ones analyzing the game ? then they relay it back to the ref on the headset ... wny I say this because some game I don't see the ref looking at any video just headset ...

If you win it is call investing! If you lose you need to quit !

(in reply to bt_phins)
Post #: 3
RE: Comment on Replay and Penalties - 9/21/2019 7:46:56 AM   
bt_phins

You might be right, NBA. I just know it takes so frickin' looooong!

(in reply to NBA_trends)
Post #: 4
RE: Comment on Replay and Penalties - 9/21/2019 3:49:32 PM   
Gambrinus

Watching on TV, most times we know within a few seconds if the call is correct or not. Yes, I agree, it's infuriating when it takes the officials several minutes to see the obvious.

Solution: Put an official in the booth for each game to review calls. He has 45 seconds to determine if the call on the field was incorrect. He sees the same replays as the TV viewers. Forget coaches challenges. If the official in the booth can't see something definitive in 45 seconds, play continues.

Baseball is the worst. The umps putting the headsets on is a joke. Eliminate the 3rd base ump. Put him in the booth to review all calls within 45 seconds with the TV feed. He can call check swings from the booth just fine.

Problem solved.

Keep the games moving.

(in reply to bt_phins)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Pro Sports] >> NFL and CFL >> Comment on Replay and Penalties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode