Sports Forum   |   Scoreboard   |   Contact Us   |   WinPicks Software   |   Talkstock   |   Advertise   |   Follow Us on Twitter   |   Register  |   Login 
Register to post in the sports forumDownload the ScoresLine App for Android 

Forums   Register   Profile   Inbox   Address Book   Subscribe   My Forums   Search   FAQ   Login   Log Out

Got any computer tweaks?   Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> Got any computer tweaks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Got any computer tweaks? - 9/18/2008 10:05:59 PM   
lain

Does anybody know anything I can do to my computer to improve the speed of the college basketball formula tuner? I thought last years version was faster than this years version. Is it because you guys added more data stuff that slowed down this years version?
Post #: 1
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/22/2008 11:47:16 PM   
webman

It's essentially the same engine for the tuner, so it should run at the same speed as last year.  Does your computer seem slower when running other applications than it used to?

(in reply to lain)
Post #: 2
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/23/2008 1:51:45 PM   
lain

No my computer runs better than it use to. When I would install WPCBA it use to say an ole file or something was in use, but this years version It didn't give me that notice, but the tuner runs slower than the version before for some reason even if I just test the last 30 dates or something. I can still use it, but it's slower.

< Message edited by lain -- 9/23/2008 1:53:36 PM >

(in reply to webman)
Post #: 3
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/23/2008 8:41:49 PM   
WinPicks Support

The tuner code is the same as last year.   If you have formulas that use a test method of "Season To Date", then the tuner will run slower at the end of the season because of the number of game dates it has to analyze each iteration.   Many formulas are setup that way, so once the new season starts, it will run faster.   The only other difference to CBA this year might make it marginally slower would be the addition of 11 new Division 1 teams.

Thanks
WinPicks Support

(in reply to lain)
Post #: 4
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/23/2008 10:24:09 PM   
lain

Do you have any tweaks I can do to my computer to slightly improve the formula tuner speed? Like another software game I have sims faster if you turn off anti virus scanning, Use DEP for essential windows files only, and turn off the indexing search settings on the C drive.

(in reply to WinPicks Support)
Post #: 5
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/25/2008 11:31:06 PM   
WinPicks Support

The tuner is computationally intensive.    As with any software, minimizing the number of applications which are running at the same time can help (like Virus checkers).   The only thing we might suggest is checking Task Manager under Windows (processes tab) when Tuner is running to see if the WinPicks application (wp_cb.exe) is using most of the CPU.  If there are other applications also running at the same time, they would show up there.

Thanks
WinPicks Support

(in reply to lain)
Post #: 6
RE: Got any computer tweaks? - 9/29/2008 2:04:28 PM   
goldenstar924

I would think having a dual core or quard core processor would be a good option. I have a quad core (q6600) and will open up winpicks 2-3 times. I will tune multiple formulas at once. My impression is that tuning 1=100% tuning 2=70% tuning 3=40% speed per opened program. I haven't payed attention to see if it runs faster since I upgraded my memory 3 weeks ago. So the fastest way to tune is with multiple programs open IF you have a dual/quad core processor...But this is just my opinion. EDIT after posting I went to system processes and looked at CPU usage. Having winpicks opened once, and tuning using all dates uses a consistant 20%. Opening and tuning with two programs (nfl and nba) uses between 22% (11% + 11%) and up to 38% (19% +19%) So the million dollar question is how do I use the other 60%-80%?

Second, buy more ram. I've gone from 2 gig to 4 gigs of ram. It won't make the tuner faster, but it seems to make it tune at it's full potential.

Third...I've wondered and maybe the winpicks guys can help me out here, If I were to buy a 10k rpm hard drive (western digital velociraptor) and only run windows/winpicks from that hard drive, would it tune faster?  I would think so since the databases are sooooooo huge especially for CBB. Also would running a raid configuration work any faster?

ALSO winpick guys, I've been reading a lot about diferent different groups using GPU's to do heavy computational work, do you have any plans to look into this? Do you have any plans to write winpicks in a multi thread (?) format so that multi cores can be used to there fullest? I believe that Intel might have an 8 core (or more) processor in the works.

< Message edited by goldenstar924 -- 9/29/2008 2:11:48 PM >

(in reply to lain)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> Got any computer tweaks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode