Sports Forum   |   Scoreboard   |   Contact Us   |   WinPicks Software   |   Talkstock   |   Advertise   |   Follow Us on Twitter   |   Register  |   Login 
Register to post in the sports forumDownload the ScoresLine App for Android 

Forums   Register   Profile   Inbox   Address Book   Subscribe   My Forums   Search   FAQ   Login   Log Out

Fine tuning,or Back fitting?   Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> Fine tuning,or Back fitting? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 9/5/2008 7:51:08 AM   
trying2win

When you fine tune a formula,aren't you actually "backfitting" it to what HAS happened NOT to what will.or should happen?
Thanks
T2W.
Post #: 1
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 9/5/2008 3:05:27 PM   
trying2win

Looks like i answered my own question...BACK FITTING.
So why even try to fine tune something that most likely won't repeat itself?
T2W.......

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 2
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 9/5/2008 3:47:44 PM   
webman

The WinPicks software implements a variety of different forecasting models (prediction formulas, trend analysis, linear regression, etc.).  Basically, forecasting models use data that has already been collected to estimate or predict the results of unknown future situations.  Similar methods are used by economists, weather forecasters, stock analysts, political analysts, etc.

The formula tuner is just one of the models implemented by WinPicks.  It uses a Monte Carlo technique that utilizes all of the available data from the past to increase the probability of successfully predicting the future.  The WinPicks reference manual describes the formula tuner here:

http://www.microbro.com/manual/sec8-5.htm

< Message edited by webmaster -- 9/5/2008 3:55:18 PM >

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 3
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 10/5/2008 7:35:11 AM   
HowDOG

trying2win, I think what you are looking for is a crystal ball. Unless you have some special powers (in which you would not be buying any software to predict) All you have is past results to try to predict future results.
I guess you better stay at the roulette table.

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 4
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 10/6/2008 12:22:44 PM   
trying2win

howDOG.....I can sum it up in one phrase"Figures lie,and liars figure"

(in reply to HowDOG)
Post #: 5
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 11/5/2008 9:05:22 PM   
crazycanuck

I think it's better to think of this software as a tool to your analysis of games rather than the ultimate predictor of the future.  At least from my perspective, I use it to alert me to potential games and I perform my own research as well. 

But any software, either here or in the financial markets, only can look at the past data points to determine a strategy.  The real problem is when one fine tunes the system only based on the past and doesn't do a walk-through to see future results.  You can then be overly confident about the results when you are really talking about a slight statistical edge.....

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 6
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 11/15/2008 7:38:35 PM   
skyblue1

As a former horse player who used close to a dozen different handicapping packages, some of which definitely were backfitted, I ran a test on WinPicks before plunking down money.  Been burned a couple of times and that's two too many.

WinPicks definitely is not backfitting software.

Have a great life,

Bob

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 7
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 11/16/2008 8:31:09 AM   
trying2win

quote:

ORIGINAL: skyblue1

As a former horse player who used close to a dozen different handicapping packages, some of which definitely were backfitted, I ran a test on WinPicks before plunking down money.  Been burned a couple of times and that's two too many.

WinPicks definitely is not backfitting software.

Describe your definition of "backfitting", and how it's NOT related to this discussion?

(in reply to skyblue1)
Post #: 8
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 11/19/2008 12:15:11 AM   
crazycanuck

Yes, I'm curious as to what you're definition of baskfitting is.

Actually, I'm curious about what you expect in a system?  Frankly, I believe too many people believe there is one 'magic' system to predict the future.  This is true for the markets as well. (I also run trading models for equity and futures markets) 

One of the most dangerous situations arise if you buy into a system, whether it be sports or markets, and you win right away for a certain period of time. This is actually the time to be worried because there is no way that you can run elevated levels of winning percentage over the long term without pullbacks.  

If you bought a stock market system based on the late 1990's you would've made a fortune by buying the dips.  That's what a backtested system would say works.  But it isn't enough to predict the future changes in the actual market you're trading, drastically changing how to be successful.  Similar to sports, things can change.  You can have a system backfitted during a run of huge underdog wins, does that mean this will continue in the future?

One recent example is the NBA season this year.  I started off with a huge run of wins.  I was running 84% win rate.  This obviously cannot be maintained throughout the year, so I know that a losing streak will come about. This losing streak doesn't mean my 'system' doesn't work, but it's a normal part of any system.

There are no systems with 100% wins

(in reply to trying2win)
Post #: 9
RE: Fine tuning,or Back fitting? - 11/28/2008 12:04:00 AM   
skyblue1

Backfitting, as we horse players use the term in reference to handicapping software, is software that when tuned changes past results to make them look better than they would be otherwise.

In no way did I suggest, infer, or declare that backfitting was NOT relevant to this thread.  I was merely trying to shed some light on the subject.

< Message edited by skyblue1 -- 11/28/2008 3:31:06 AM >

Have a great life,

Bob

(in reply to crazycanuck)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> Fine tuning,or Back fitting? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode