Sports Forum   |   Scoreboard   |   Contact Us   |   WinPicks Software   |   Talkstock   |   Advertise   |   Follow Us on Twitter   |   Register  |   Login 
Register to post in the sports forumDownload the ScoresLine App for Android 

Forums   Register   Profile   Inbox   Address Book   Subscribe   My Forums   Search   FAQ   Login   Log Out

some questions from a rookie   Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> some questions from a rookie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
some questions from a rookie - 11/10/2006 7:51:31 AM   
undisputedtruth

hello, I have a question with the predictions. 
for one when I predict sides it recommends 8 teams.  KC, SD, cleve, indy, NO, giants, GB, and the jets.  yet, for one case, it recommends cleve by 7.5 with an 8 point spot (only a half point) yet it has tenny winning by 1 over balt (an 8 point difference since they are 7 point dog yet they are not a recommendation).

thanks

The Future is Now
Post #: 1
RE: some questions from a rookie - 11/10/2006 11:55:34 AM   
Michelangelo

Hi truth,

Welcome to Talksport.

I think you are referring to the Winpicks software. Many of us don't use it (maybe we should). There is a forum specifically to discuss the software. You might want to ask your questions there.

Good luck.

(in reply to undisputedtruth)
Post #: 2
RE: some questions from a rookie - 11/11/2006 11:26:17 PM   
webman

Hi Truth,

WinPicks prediction formulas recommend picks that fall within the "betting window" specified by the formula. 

The betting window refers to the difference between predictions made by WinPicks, and the actual betting line. For example, if the betting window is set to 1-7 points, WinPicks recommends picks when the actual line differs from the WinPicks line by 1-7 points. The lower and upper bounds of the betting window are set in every formula using the parameters named Lower Betting Window Limit and Upper Betting Window Limit. The default betting window is 1-10 points. If you increase the window, WinPicks recommends more picks. If you decrease the window, WinPicks recommends fewer picks.

This information, and a lot more about prediction formulas, can be found in the on-line reference manual:

http://www.microbro.com/manual/contents.htm

We appreciate your business,

Mike

Post #: 3
RE: some questions from a rookie - 11/12/2006 6:36:22 AM   
undisputedtruth

Mike, maybe I am not looking in the right place.  I understand about the window you are referring to, but that still does not address how a pick (as I cited in the example above with tenny, can be "further away" from the line (8 points) (picking tenny by 1 point when 7 point dog) yet not be a pick when one of the PICKS was ONLY half point away (picking cleveland)  do you see what I am saying? 

thanks

The Future is Now

(in reply to webman)
Post #: 4
RE: some questions from a rookie - 11/12/2006 5:53:48 PM   
webman

Truth,

If the betting window is set, for example, from 1 to 5 points, a pick that falls 8 points away from the line won't be recommended.  If you increase the size of the window in the formula to go from 1 to 8 points, for example, it would become a recommended pick.  However, formulas often work best when the size of the window is limited.  If the WinPicks line differs from the real line by an amount that is too large, it could mean that WinPicks is overlooking some non-statistical factor (like an injured QB, for example) that is influencing the line.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Sports Handicapping Resources] >> WinPicks Software Forum >> some questions from a rookie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode