Sports Forum   |   Scoreboard   |   Contact Us   |   WinPicks Software   |   Talkstock   |   Advertise   |   Follow Us on Twitter   |   Register  |   Login 
Register to post in the sports forumDownload the ScoresLine App for Android 

Forums   Register   Profile   Inbox   Address Book   Subscribe   My Forums   Search   FAQ   Login   Log Out

Golf vs proffesional team sports   Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Sports] >> The Sports Bar >> Golf vs proffesional team sports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/6/2005 9:10:07 AM   
Thomas

The following is not intended to offend fans of basketball, hockey, football or baseball, even tennis. It is, rather, an attempt to put everything in its proper perspective... However, if you are offended because of your favorite sport, please tell someone else.
Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity and why people who don't even play go to tournaments or watch it on TV?
The following may shed some light:
1. Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being honorable people who don't need referees.
2. Golfers don't have some of their players in jail every week.
3. Golfers don't kick dirt on, or throw bottles at, other people.
4. Professional golfers are paid in direct proportion to how well they play.
5. Golfers don't get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when they travel between tournaments.
6. Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player's deal.
7. Professional golfers don't demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.
8. When golfers make a mistake, nobody is there to cover for them or back them.
9. The PGA raises more money for charity in 1 year than the NFL does in 2.
10. You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament, including the majors, all day every day for $25 or $30. The cost for even a nosebleed seat at the Super Bowl costs around $300 or more, unless you buy it from scalpers, in which case it's $1,000+.
11. You can bring a picnic lunch to the tournament golf course, watch the best in the world, and not spend a small fortune on food and drink. Try that at one of the taxpayer funded baseball or football stadiums. If you bring a soft drink into a ballpark, they'll give you two options-get rid of it or leave.
12. In golf, you cannot fail 70% of the time and make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (300 batting average) do.
13. Golf doesn't change its rules to attract fans.
14. Golfers have to adapt to an entirely new playing area each week. Golfers keep their clothes on while they are being interviewed.
15. Golf doesn't have free agency.
16. In their prime, Palmer, Norman, and other stars, would shake your hand and say they were happy to meet you. In his prime, Jose Canseco wore T-shirts that read "Leave Me Alone."
17. You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during a tournament.
18. At a golf tournament, (unlike at taxpayer-funded sports stadiums and arenas) you won't hear a steady stream of four lettern words and nasty name-calling while you're hoping that no one spills beer on you.
19. Tiger hits a golf ball over twice as far as Barry Bonds hits a baseball.
20. Golf courses don't ruin the neighborhood.
21. And Finally: Here's a little slice of golf history that you might enjoy:
Why do golf courses have 18 holes-not 20, or 10, or an even dozen?
During a discussion among the club's membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, a senior member pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.

Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/6/2005 2:47:24 PM   
net effect

Great write up. Entertaining to say the least and a lot of it, I dont even think about a lot of times while i'm at a baseball or football game. Too funny. Interesting about how they came to the 18 hole decision as well. Nicely done

guy walks in with a monkey on his shoulder

(in reply to Thomas)
Post #: 2
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/7/2005 2:38:52 PM   
Passionate Bettor

Thomas : Great post : Thanks : PB

(in reply to Thomas)
Post #: 3
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/8/2005 10:32:23 AM   
Alpine

Great write-up. One more thing to add Golf is the only sport where you call a penalty on yourself. Whens the last time and NBA player raised their hand and said "Hey ref I think I just hacked him give him 2 free throws."

On a side note I'm scik and tired of people calling up TV stations and trying to get golfers on what might be a rules violation. Try going on the court or field and dispute a call. Not happening. These people need a life.

Don't let the door hit ya where God split ya

(in reply to Thomas)
Post #: 4
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/8/2005 4:11:14 PM   
sportspicks

Thomas-
Nice write-up.

Alpine-
100% agreement on the get-a-lifers. They call CBS or the PGA on thier cell phone, then go to the movies that night, forget to turn their cell phone off and it rings in the theatre, then they go to the baseball game the next day and wave to their buddy when the camera is on them. UGH.

SP

(in reply to Thomas)
Post #: 5
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 4/24/2005 7:40:38 AM   
retired ref

thomas
great write up
makes ya ......think!

retired ref

(in reply to Thomas)
Post #: 6
RE: Golf vs proffesional team sports - 12/8/2017 9:55:33 PM   
PIX2CLICK

BUMP ......... GREAT POST FROM THE PAST

==== THE BIG BOSS HAS OFFICIALLY LISTED OL' PIX AS DTD (DAY TO DAY) ====

(in reply to retired ref)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other Sports] >> The Sports Bar >> Golf vs proffesional team sports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode